picture Re: [Rhodes22-list] Off season storage costs

Philip 3drecon at comcast.net
Wed Oct 18 22:01:29 EDT 2006

Luis,
     I thought this was interesting, especially the first bullet.
Philip

October 11, 2006
NEWS From BoatUS
Boat Owners Association of The United States
880  S. Pickett St., Alexandria, VA 22304
BoatUS News Room at www.BoatUS.com

How To Avoid The Six Most Common Winterizing Mistakes
Free BoatUS Winterizing Guide Available
With winter approaching, Boat Owners Association of The United States has
reviewed its insurance claim files and reports the following six most common
mistakes made when winterizing a boat:

? Failure to drain the engine block: Surprisingly, it's the balmy states of
California, Florida, Texas, Alabama and Georgia where boaters are most
likely to have freeze-related damage to engine blocks - and it routinely
occurs to boats stored ashore. Water retains heat longer than air so boats
left in the slip are less susceptible to sudden freezing.

? Failure to drain water from sea strainer: Like an engine, the seawater
strainer must be winterized or residual water could freeze and rupture the
watertight seal. Sometimes you don't know it's damaged until spring
launching and water begins to trickle in.

?  Failure to close seacocks: For boats left in the water, leaving seacocks
open over the winter is like going on extended vacation without locking the
house. If a thru-hull cannot be closed the vessel must be stored ashore -
the sole exception are cockpit drains. Heavy snow loads can also force your
boat under, allowing water to enter through hulls normally well above the
water line.

?  Clogged petcocks: Engine cooling system petcocks clogged by rust or other
debris can prevent water from fully draining. If it's plugged, try using a
coat hanger to clear the blockage or use the engine's intake hose to flush
anti-freeze through the system.

?  Leaving open boats in the water over winter: Boats with large open
cockpits or low freeboard can easily go under by accumulated snow. Always
store them ashore.

?  Using bimini covers as winter storage covers: A cover that protects the
crew from the sun does a lousy job protecting the boat from freezing rain
and snow. Unlike a bonafide winter cover, biminis tend to rip apart and age
prematurely by the effects of winter weather.

To get a free copy of the BoatUS Winterizing Guide full of tips to help you
prepare your vessel for the winter, go to BoatUS.com/Seaworthy and click on
"Winterizing Your Boat," or call 800-283-2883.
BoatUS - Boat Owners Association of The United States - is the nation's
leading advocate for recreational boaters providing its 670,000 members with
a wide array of consumer services including a group-rate marine insurance
program that insures nearly a quarter million boats; the largest fleet of
more than 500 towing assistance vessels; discounts on fuel, slips, and
repairs at over 835 Cooperating Marinas; boat financing; and a subscription
to BoatUS Magazine, the most widely read boating publication in the U.S. For
membership information visit http://www.BoatUS.com or call 800-395-2628.