picture Re: [Rhodes22-list] Off season storage costs

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Thu Oct 19 01:55:41 EDT 2006

Happened to me.

What also happened to me was that tarps broke loose and flogged gel coat.

If you leave your boat outside, you better keep an eye on it, or have
someone keep an eye on it for you.

In my boat storage area, tarped boats are often damaged when soft snow
clings to the tarp and then freezes.  After several freeze thaw cycles
you  can develop multi-hundred pound blocks of ice, suspended 6 feet
above your boat, held up by your deformed mast.  The weight of the ice
can shift the center of gravity on the trailer, smashing the stern into
the ground, and then the ice blocks into the boat.

It ain't pretty, and it happens to several tarped boats each year.

I have done far less damage to my boat by keeping it open and visiting
it at least once a month, and more often when I know I should.

Bill Effros