[Rhodes22-list] evaluating the used boat

john Belanger jhnblngr at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 19 12:18:27 EDT 2006

welcome. hopefully you're talking nissan truck,frontier,exterra, or titan

Chet Orton <chet.orton at yahoo.com> wrote:  Ed and everyone,

I suppose it was rude of me not to introduce myself. Here goes:
I've been thinking about a boat for awhile but didn't start looking into it seriously until a few months ago. I grew up on a small lake. We always had a small boat of some kind: a canoe or rowboat. A friend had the Sunfish that I mentioned. I loved sailing it. I currently have a plastic kayak, and I'm also building a cedar strip sea kayak. I live in NC between Raleigh and the VA border and a few hours from the coast. We have some decent sized lakes around here. I also take a couple of trips to the Outer Banks (that's the coast, in case you're not familiar with NC) each year. My brother lives in FL and a good friend lives in PA. I try to meet them half way a couple of times a year for camping trips. I like the idea of camping in a sailboat. So, I want a boat that's not too big for my local lakes, not too small for the Outer Banks, and that I can camp on a few times a year. I intend to trailer the boat behind my '99 Nissan so it can't be too heavy. My partner, Beth, has no
interest in sailing so I need to be able to raise the mast by myself. I did some reading in books and online and it looks to me like the Rhodes is the best thing out there. I really like the philosophy of the Rhodes. It reminds me of a couple of old BMW motorcycles I used to have. BMW didn't re-invent the motorcycle each year. Instead, they took a good design and refined it year after year. I once bought a 20 year old BMW bike and took it on an 800 mile trip the next day. That's how much confidence I have in them. But, I digress. We're talking about sailboats, right? Anyway, I've rambled on enough for now. Glad to meet you all.

Chet