[Rhodes22-list] Driving in Snow

L. Sailor watermusic38 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 21 07:50:03 EDT 2006

The consistency of the snow varies with geography & temps. Snow in the mountains differes from snow in New England which differs from snow along the Eastern seaboard. NY & New England snows (generally) have almost a crunchy , dry, styrofoam-y feel, which actually gives good traction, because the temps (generally) are & stay below freezing...Areas which have freeze/thaw cycles or that have snow in temps in the low 30's or high 20's (like DC or areas where the ocean/bays moderate temps) have a slick snow....just watch the Follies begin when people try to drive in that stuff....

  Can't repeal the laws of physics...;^)

  elle

  Joseph Hadzima <josef508 at yahoo.com> wrote:

Once upon a time I lived in Massachusetts ...

And one day the "Consumer Reporter" on Channel 4 News gave
a report about all the neat things you can buy to get
yourself out of a snow bank *including a coffee can of
sand) ... upon returning to the news anchor, he said "and
don't forget your snow tires too!". The consumer reporter
replied with "I wouldn't know .. I've never bought them".

I drove my CAMARO several snowy seasons in Massachusetts,
and never got stuck (unless you count the plow dumping a
ton of the white stuff at the end of the driveway), but did
pass many SUVs on the side of the road.

I don't believe the natives in New England know how to
drive in it either!

http://www.rhodes22.org/pipermail/rhodes22-list/attch/200610/17/boatcover003sm.jpg