[Rhodes22-list] My season ended today,long

cjlowe cjlowe at bright.net
Sun Oct 22 00:43:55 EDT 2006

I watched the weather closely this week , knowing I would have to pull the boat this weekend.On Monday I asked Carol if she would like to spend Friday night on the boat,and help me haul it on Saturday. On Thursday the weather weasels once again,for the 4th time this week,dropped the low for overnight,from 48* F on Monday to 35* F on Friday night. Carol said on Thursday night "be sure and dress warm for tomorrow,I have to work Saturday,but you can still go,and maybe your brother will help you haul it."
So I called my brother Rick,and bless his heart ,he said he would help me Saturday. Friday I went to work an hour early and worked thru lunch and ran for the door at 2:00 pm. I got the  trailer hooked -up,loaded the mast hoist and carrier,and all the blankets we own into the 4-Runner and headed for the lake. Ran into the Ranger on the way to the slip,as I told him  my plan to anchor out he mentioned that duck season started at dawn tomorrow. I asked if I should stay in the slip for the night,and he said "If it was me I'd stay in the little cove behind the sailboat club,no blinds close to there." Small as this lake is ,I'd never been back there and never saw any sailboats back there,must be pretty thin water.
 I watched the ranger sell 2 city boys 25 bags of firewood for $3.75 a pop,and thought about how I could have filled up that pick-up twice, for half the cost ,down the road two miles. I was able to take the clothes,coats,cooler and all the blankets we own,in only two trips from the car to the boat.Buy the time I threw off the dock lines it was 5:30,I motored out to the main lake and sailed for an hour. The sun was ducking in and out of the clouds on it's rapid retreat to the horizon,so I sucked in the sails and headed slowly to sail club cove.The cove wasn't very big,maybe 500' long and 200' wide,and it was getting dark,so I threw the hook out in the middle of it,powered down on it and prayed.
 By this time ,it's about 45*f ,and another amazing fact rears it's ugly head---Pop top enclosures don't like cold weather ,either. After much stretching,pulling and cussing,I got the front 2 ,the side 2 ,and the back 2 snaps fastened.The other 16 snaps are mostly to keep bugs out,not a problem tonight. Then I opened the bimini to keep the cockpit dryer,set out the grill/stove (it usually resides in the drawer under the companion way step , which will be covered by the air mattress,when I want coffee in the morning ).I moved inside and blew up the air mattress,unrolled the sleeping bag,and then set about keeping Budweiser employees gainfully employed. Made a few phone calls,went out and looked at the stars,and set about keeping the Clydesdales in feed. My head hit the pillow about 9:00.
Day broke with a 21 shotgun salute,--welcome to dinner,ducks! Rolled out of the bag about 9:00,made coffee,and watched the sail club people move docks,haul the RC boats,and other such nasty chores,glad ,once again,that I didn't join. I gave the bimini and pop-top enclosure their annual bath(wiped off the dew),and prepared to haul anchor. Now, I'm anchored just behind the sail club,I figure if I walk the anchor rode to the back of the boat,it will swing the bow around and put me on a close reach past the docks on the lee shore of the sail club,and the admiring sailors standing on it. Soooo,I walk the rode around,pull the anchor and about half the lake bottom comes up with it. It takes me awhile to wash off all the bottom goo and I've lost every thing I've gained by walking the rode around,but still unfazed,I let out 2/3rds of the jib and reach for the main sail control line ,when,out of nowhere,the gust from HELL hits. Twenty feet from shore the rudder kicks up and slows me down enough to get the jib back in.Using the rudder as an anchor,I take my time starting the motor,then pull the rudder up out of the muck,and motor past a dock full of not so admiring sailors.Of coarse one of them has to say "for a moment,I thought you were going to sail out of the cove".To which I replied" Naw,I was just checking the jib for shotgun pellet holes.I decided I would motor past the island before setting sail,then there wouldn't be anything else I could hit until I was out of their eyesight. Sailed in 5-10 kts of wind for an hour,then headed back to the slip to pick up my brother.and I'm out of time

Jerry Lowe