[Rhodes22-list] Off to Iraq

Bob Keller r22yankeeclipper at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 23 08:59:56 EDT 2006

Got this from my brother and wanted to pass it on.
Bob

This is from a co-worker at HP who's son left for Iraq today. This comes to
me directly from his Dad. I will be getting periodic updates from him and
will forward. I will take the last name off so as to protect his privacy,
but forward on, because these brave troops need our continued support and
prayers.

Bill

Everyone,

Well after months and months of yakking about it the day is finally
here…well almost here, just have to go to sleep tonight (we’ll see about
that) and it’ll be here tomorrow.  I’m sure pretty much everyone is
wondering what I’m thinking right now, what are my feelings, and all that
other stuff…I guess I’m going to be super-cool and spill it for you, just
because I’m that awesome.  :c)

I’m ready to get going, and I have been ready since my last visit to
Colorado…sitting around here this last week or so is just awful, waiting is
never fun…gives you too much time to think, and a lot of the time thinking
gets you in trouble.  I am ready to wage this war against militant-Islam,
because it is something that absolutely has to be done.  Some look at Iraq
and just see Saddam and WMD and that MY BOSS was wrong to go in there (btw
we found enough WMD to kill everyone in Baghdad, but I guess you didn’t hear
or read about that anywhere, ask me if you really want details…oh, and
Saddam really was a horrible asshole…pardon my language to both my
grandmothers…), but it is well past that point…Iraq is the line in the sand
between civilized nations and Islamic fascism, because whether you want to
believe it or not, there are a large group of people out there who want you
and everyone else dead unless you convert to their way of thinking.  The
great thing about Iraq is that all these idiots have decided it is a lot
easier to fight us there than it is to come to the United States and fight
you…which I am fine with, because I’m going to be so horribly well armed and
armored that I welcome their best shot at destroying everything I have
dedicated my life to defend.

While I’m gone I encourage all of you to live it up for me…I can’t do it, so
you all should do it double for me…take those extra few days off of work,
take that trip, try for that double on your dirt bike, fish that run one
more time, let your kid stay up that extra 15 minutes, stay in the
duck-blind 15 more minutes after you think the birds have stopped flying,
drink that extra drink…I think you get the idea…everyone has that area in
their life where they can indulge, so I encourage you all to do it for me.
The only thing that I am worried about going into Iraq is letting my guys
down, letting all of you down, and letting my country down; and I can tell
you with all of my heart that it is NOT in my intention to do any of those
things.  I promise you all that I will be careful, but at the same time I
promise that I will kick the ever-living CRAP out of anyone that presents a
threat to me or you...they WILL die, and they’ll do it before I do.  This
war is the most important war that has been fought since WW2, easily, if not
more so.  The things that we do tomorrow and in the next five years will
shape the world as we know it for centuries to come…if we leave Iraq before
we win the fight then all of the western world is in danger, just remember
that…and I will elaborate on that fact in the future.  So happy trails to
all of you, and I will frequently be in touch, just say a ‘lil prayer for me
and I’ll do alright.

God Bless and Love,

Matt

Matthew