[Rhodes22-list] Religion: - Is any religion inherently hostile?

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Thu Oct 26 12:43:43 EDT 2006

Bill, your turn to take it easy...

Bill Effros wrote:
> Robert,
> Please.

Now, don't go parental on me.

> This piece casts little light.

Matter of opinion.

> Is Christianity inherently hostile?

If we look at the crusades, the inquisition, etc. we
would have to say yes.  If I recollect on my experiences
among the southern baptists while riding my motorcycle
through Atlanta, Selma, and other hotbeds of liberal
activity, I'd have to conclude that the dividing line
between proselytizing and hostility is thin.  All-in-all,
the only completely unhostile common belief structures
that I have personal knowledge of are the Amish, the
Quakers, and the Buddhists, having lived among them.

> Christian groups passed a constitutional amendment in this country
> outlawing alcohol.

Was a dumb idea then, and still is.

> Some pharmacies refuse to sell birth control pills.

Yeah.  I disagree with that position unless there is a
sign on the door that warns possible customers that
the pharmacist is a religious zealot, whose personal
beliefs outweigh even-handed public service.

> Let's not talk religion.

Can't avoid it, once we open the Pandora's box of
Iraqi politics.

> You want to talk politics?

No.  I'd sooner think about them and engage in
reasonable discourse.

> The cops can confiscate a taxi that contains marijuana.  Taxi drivers
> can refuse to take passengers who are transporting marijuana.  Is that OK?

The analogy is flawed.  MJ is illegal.  Alcohol
is not.

> Is it OK to refuse to take 17 year old passengers with alcohol?

Probably.  Depends on whether the cabbie is
presented with circumstances that make it impossible
to ignore, and provides certain knowledge that
the person is both underage and in possession.  In
that case, it makes him/her an accessory to a
crime -- if underage possession is illegal in that
state/city.

> How about drunk 18 year olds?

Any drunk can be refused service.  I've done it
myself when tending bar at a fire house.  I got
beaten up, and the guy went BACK to jail.

> How about a guy carrying a gun?

What's the local law?  What kind of gun?
(Little far out here, aren't we, Bill?)

> Why can mothers take milk on airplanes but not anyone else?

No choice.  Comes with the breasts.

> That's politics.

No QED here, Bill.  You'll have to do
better than a list of quasi-relevant
questions.  Socrates you are not.

> But suggesting that somebody else's religion is inherently
> hostile...mixing religion with politics...boy has that led to a lot of
> trouble.

It's even worse if it is a fact, Bill,
and that is what I'm putting up for
comment.  The religious war has already