[Rhodes22-list] Political:Off to Iraq re: Dave

DCLewis1 at aol.com DCLewis1 at aol.com
Thu Oct 26 17:04:10 EDT 2006

Philip,

Thanks for your response.  I sense a bit of frustration in your  reply.  Let
me be clear, I’m not dissing your service, and I’m not claiming  that the
decision to make a career in the military is entirely about cash and  benefits.
That was not my intent.  But I think you and I agree that  “at the margin”
bonuses, extra pay, tax exemptions, etc are used as  recruiting, re-enlistment,
and retention incentives, and that they are  effective inducements.  You
spelled out many of them but made the point  that no one does it to be rich. I
completely agree with you, but clearly they  are inducements. I do think that many
young people do as well or  better financially in the service than they would
do in the private  civilian sector.  I know a guy that was called up (the
same guy I posted  about previously) that is doing better financially as an enli
sted rank in the  Army than he did as a surveyors assistant (his civilian job
before he was  called up), I suspect his experience is not uncommon - but it's
not about being  rich.  You and I also agree that those inducements also apply
to some  officers - by no means all officers.

As to the Navy’s “fighting land battalion”, I don’t know anything about
that.  The Navy has had landed battalions forever - think of the
CBs(Construction Battalions).  What I think the Spec Opns bonuses are about  are SEAL Teams,
and I believe they have been in the fight (any fight, you pick,  they love to
fight) from t = 0.

Again, I am not dissing your or any service persons service, rather I’m
saying that pay, bonuses, and benefits are an important part of the package,  that
they matter, and that they are a part of the career decision each  individual
in the service makes.

Dave