[Rhodes22-list] Political:Off to Iraq-reply to Bill E

L. Sailor watermusic38 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 26 19:35:54 EDT 2006

Bob,
I for one would like to read this young man's letters.
He was quite well spoken  and I would like to read of
his impressions and experiences.

elle

--- Bob Keller <r22yankeeclipper at hotmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> started this string by
> posting the
> letter home from that soldier (Matt) from Texas.
> You told me to "cut the
> crap" and said that it was a made-up political post.
>  So I checked on that
> to be sure.  This is not a generic letter posted and
> circulated on the web.
> It is an email to my brother from a colleague he
> knows and works with and
> sees regularly.  Matt is this guy's son.
>
> I have follow-up letters that you would probably
> believe because they're not
> political (last one describes a sand storm).  I was
> going to post, but will
> not bother.
>
> Unbelievable.
> Bob
>

> >>Bob,
> >>
> >>Thanks for the post.  There are letters like this
> quite often on the
> >>milblogs I frequent.  Also, I have a co-worker
> with a Marine son in  Iraq
> >>who
> >>forwards updates from time to time.  This may be a
> SHOCK to the  lefties
> >>in
> >>the world but our military is all volunteer and
> for the most part very
> >>motivated.  The reaction you got on the list was
> predictable and  not
> >>unlike
> >>the reactions from the usual suspects anytime
> something that doesn't  fit
> >>their perceptions gets published.  They get the
> New York times version  of
> >>reality everyday from someone who's never been out
> of the Green Zone  and
> >>believe that, but gawd forbid they listen to the
> wisdom of a common
> >>foot-soldier. No one likes this war, or any war
> for that matter, but  this
> >>kid in the letter pretty much nailed it.  We fight
> them there now or  here
> >>later.  Did you see on the news this evening that
> youths are burning
> >>buses
> >>in France?  Nope?  What kind of youths?  Of course
> the French can't say
> >>it.  Radical Islamists!  Keep your head in the
> sand folks.  This ain't
> >>goin'
> >>away anytime soon.  We can argue about the methods
> or the chosen
> >>battlefield
> >>but the war declared by them a long time ago.
> What was our first
> >>reaction?  Wear sweaters!
> >>
> >>Here's what really pisses me off.  Where are the
> new ideas?  All I  hear
> >>this
> >>election cycle is let's tuck tail and run, then
> hope for the best.  Is
> >>this
> >>a strategy? Criticism and disagreement is one
> thing - attempting  dialogue
> >>with, or worse, ignoring enemies who want to cut
> your head off is  stupid.
> >>Oh
> >>I forget, cutting off heads is only for old time's

well almost here, just have to go to sleep
> tonight (we'll see  about
> pretty much everyone is
> my feelings, and all
I guess I'm going to be super-cool
> and spill it for you,

> since my last visit to
sitting around here this last week or so
> is just awful,  waiting
> >>is
gives you too much time to think, and a
> lot of the time
> against
> done.  Some look at
> wrong to go in there
> but I guess you  didn't
> >>hear
> want details
oh, and
pardon my
> language to both my
), but it is well past that
> point
Iraq is the line in the
> >>sand
> because whether you  want
> people out there who  want
> >>you
> their way of thinking.   The
> have decided it is a  lot
> the United States and
which I am fine with, because I'm going to be
> so horribly well  armed
> >>and
> destroying everything I have

> up for me