[Rhodes22-list] private pilot

Tatflies at cs.com Tatflies at cs.com
Sun Oct 29 00:35:45 EDT 2006

Alright Rummy... learning to fly! Landing a float plane on Hartwell would be
a blast.

I believe that you will find the challenge of becoming a private pilot is
worth the effort. The flying is fun and ground school is, well, school!

Try to pick a plane to learn on that will resemble the plane your purchase
budget will allow. It would be even better to buy the plane now and hire a good
instructor to teach you how to fly it. Take a look at the new Liberty planes.
They have full authority digital engine controls (fadec) which allow precise
fuel/air mixtures at all altitudes. Also, there is no carb heat. I believe that
for a new pilot, everything that can be done to keep the work load low is
helpful for learning how to fly. New technologies for GA aicraft are mostly not
new technology. It just takes longer to get things approved and economically
feasable.

You might want to consider a video course (Sporty's, King, etc.) to help with
the ground school.

BTW, sailing and flying have a lot in common (except the rum :( )

Tom Trenkle