[Rhodes22-list] How to reduce yourapparentstupidity(macintoshonly)

Joseph Hadzima josef508 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 29 11:11:51 EST 2006

Hi Phillip & Wally:

I'll add to your comments about why the Mac didn't become
dominate.  IBM let the entire world know about it's OS, and
when the PC hit the streets, a ton of 3rd party software
was available.  Job's either because of greed, or just poor
planning didn't let any but a few companies willing to
spend the money have a peek at how to write applications
for the new Mac.  In fact you couldn't use the Mac as a
development platform, developers needed to buy a Lisa, to
write applications.

It's not having clones, that made the IBM PC the defacto
standard, I believe it's both the availability of third
party applications and hardware; and the IBM name.  the IBM
name is well respected in the business comunity, and even
after Apple dumped thousands of computers in schools arcoss
the country, business (the people hiring) had IBM first,
then the clones.  But this is MHO.

My first taste of the Mac wasn't very good.  the original
(before the FAT Mac) had NO arrow keys on the keyboard, you
had to takes your hands off the keyboard, and use the mouse
to adjust the cursor up a line or two.  I felt like a rat
in a behavior modification lab!  Steve Jobs was going to
force me to do everything his way! When I thought of
Apple's Superbowl commercial with "big brother" getting a
hammer in the nose, I smiled over the irony.

I've written applications for the Mac since the early days,
and simple view it as another tool.  I guess I don't have
much of an opinion which is better.  I just pick the right
tool for the job at hand.

HADZ (a.k.a. joe)

"That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and hull and a deck and sails. That's what a ship needs. But what a ship is... is freedom."
-- Captain Jack Sparrow