[Rhodes22-list] How to reduce yourapparentstupidity(macintoshonly)

TN Rhodey tnrhodey at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 29 11:54:18 EST 2006

Philip,

There are many reasons Macs didn't become the dominant OS. They did alllow
clones in the early 90s but by the then it was too late. I will say that
weakness. In fact early Mac users never had to pay for OS upgrades. They
were free from any Apple dealer provided you supplied floppies. This was
true up to the early 90s (System 7 I think?). Also Mac users enjoyed plug
and play years before Windows. Installing printer drivers, video cards and
modems was much easier on a Mac than a DOS or windows PC. Remember IRQs and
that other DOS nonsense? Early revs of the Mac OS supported shared printers,
modems, and hard drives. DOS users needed the dreaded "black box' or worse
yet a crappy Lantastic Network.

Early Macs had SCSI years before windows. This allowed scaners and external
hard drives to be daisy chained. There were very few Mac video card vendors.
They all worked well though. Also Macs had True Type and Postscript fonts.
This was light years ahead of windows. A strength of the Mac was  third
party add ons. Most old Mac users will brag how many SCSI devices they had
tied together. SCSI wasn't even an option on DOS machines. It was ISA, EISA,
EDI, and what ever else they came up with.

Apple should of allowed clones years before they did. By the time they
decide to license clones the market was already MS ruled. The rest is
history. It is funny how something better does not always win. If you look
back to the VHS BETA battle. BETA Max was clearly a better product. Yet Sony
lost. I think it is a good thing Apple survived and they still are enough of
a player in the industry to matter.

Wally