[Rhodes22-list] anchor off the stern (LIS)

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Mon Oct 30 15:44:56 EST 2006

Joe,

We sail out of Kings Park, NY.  Depending on the wind, the crew, the
Admiral, etc. We sail on the "North Shore" somewhere from Port Washington to
Mount Sinai, usually.  There is much to do and see in the areas along Long
Island and the wind is usually pretty good, although it is stronger on the
South Shore.  The benefit of sailing the LIS is that it is less than 20
miles to CT, a good destination for both daysails and overnights (try the
Thimble Islands near Norwalk, CT).

I am sorry that you spent a night at the dock.  Unless the wave action is
less than 1 foot (no wind either) the boat will move against the dock and
lines all night.  Remember, the tide difference on the north side of LI are
7-8 feet!  This does not make for a restful night.  At least the wind would
have kept the bugs away.

When we are at our mooring at the Nissequogue River, we are quite firmly
attached to a single 200 lb mushroom anchor, although we do use dual bow
pennants for safety.  This permits us to point into the wind (and the
current.)  When mooring in the vicinity of other craft, it is particularly
important to observe the anchor systems in use so that your boat will
respond to changes in wind and current in a similar manner to avoid bumping
and damage.  Do not anchor too close to dissimilar boats since some sail and
motor crafts respond to changes in wind and current direction at different
rates.  This was a difficult lesson for a previous harbormaster who tried to
locate moorings too close together.

When away from our mooring, we use a stern anchor in conjunction with the
bow anchor to limit movement.  Sometimes this is necessary when anchored in
close quarters with other craft such as off a beach when swimming.  Since
the water is shallow, one must let out quite a bit of line to maintain rules
of scope.  If a single anchor was used, the resulting movement could be
dangerous.

The other times that I employ two anchors is to maintain the position of the
boat with respect to waves and wind.  One of our favorite beaches has a
jetty and sandbar configuration that results in strong wave action that may
not correspond to the wind.  In order to keep the boat pointed into the
waves and not necessarily the wind, I use a stern anchor.  This makes it
much easier to discharge and reboard passengers using the swim ladder,
minimizing injuries since the boat is not pitching and rolling.

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)