[Rhodes22-list] New Rodes Owner

KUHN, LELAND LKUHN at cnmc.org
Wed Apr 4 13:20:00 EDT 2007

Frazier,

I had Stan install a Plastismo Contest 101 in my portside bulkhead.
West Marine's list price is $215, but they'll normally match any
Internet price you can find.  I think they sold it to me for about $135
to $140.  I like it because it's two-sided so you can read it from
inside the cabin.  I often lock the tiller and go below to lay down on
the settee, not that I'm lazy or anything.  It's nice to be able to see
the compass to ensure you don't go off course.

Stan and others will tell you that a depth finder (fish finder) isn't
necessary because your centerboard and rudder will tell you when it gets
too shallow.  This is proof that even Stan isn't right all the time.
Ask Rose.  I use my fish finder all the time.  Even if you don't damage
your centerboard and rudder by dragging them on the bottom, you'll
certainly knock the bottom paint off of them.  I like to sail close to
shore, and it's nice to know when it starts getting shallow.  I had Stan
install a Humminbird Matrix 17 with the temperature/speed accessory on
the starboard side bulkhead.  It was about $100.  You'll need transducer
paint to keep the speed wheel turning, and even then it's nowhere nearly
as accurate as a GPS.  It will let you know if you're speeding up or
slowing down to help you trim your sails.

It cost more to install the instruments than to purchase them, but
Stan's crew did an excellent job.  I'm way overpaid and totally inept,
so it would have cost me much more to do it myself.

I haven't ventured far from the marina and normally try to get in before
dark, so I thought a GPS would be more of a toy than something I really
needed, but I would definitely recommend at least getting a cheap
handheld for safety.  I use mine to check my speed more than anything
else.  I have a Garmin C276, but it mostly depends on how much money you
want to spend.  Paper charts are still easier to read.  I absolutely
recommend that you do not purchase a Magellan GPS.  I had nothing but
nightmares with that company (except that nightmares stop when you wake
up).

Good luck with your choices!

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  At Ease