[Rhodes22-list] New Rodes Owner

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Wed Apr 4 22:52:51 EDT 2007

Frazier,

Where will you be sailing from?  I'm in Greenwich.

There are many good Power Squadron courses.  Take one.  Learn basic
navigation.

All you really need are charts for the waters you sail, and a cell phone
for emergencies.

Learn to use the charts.  They are far more useful than a GPS.  Charts
tell you where the rocks are.  A GPS only tells you where you are.

I assume you already know how to use a cell phone.

Your job as captain is to always know where you are, and always know
where the safe passages are.  LIS is one of the best places in the world
to hone these skills.

I use a pair of Plastismo hand held compasses mounted on the port and
starboard stern rails.  The stainless steel rails don't bother the
magnets.  The compasses work in any orientation and can be moved
elsewhere as needed, or used as both hand bearing and steering
compasses.  I find 2 compasses at arm's length more useful than a single
compass with continual parallax adjustments, and markings not really
clear at a distance of 6-8 feet.

A GPS is a great tool for estimating how late you will be for dinner.

Bill Effros