[Rhodes22-list] More on GPS

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 11:59:58 EDT 2007

John,

Interesting article!  In the early 90's I flew the polar route from
Anchorage, AK to Prestwick, Scotland and then on to London about once or so
a month.  I never made it to 90 North (the Northern most route) but flew the
85N route several times.  Twice, the sun flares were so bad that our HF
radios didn't work.  We flew radio silent for 9 hours from Point Barrow, AK
to coast in at Scotland with the exception of a VHF check-in at Alert and
Thule.  We had inertial nav so navigation wasn't an issue.  The whiskey
compass would just spin.  Now here's a question, isn't it possible that
'global warming' is a function of the sun and not so much mankind?

Brad