[Rhodes22-list] More on GPS

DCLewis1 at aol.com DCLewis1 at aol.com
Wed Apr 11 12:10:40 EDT 2007

Wally,

Re PHRF, I’m sure you’re right. To my knowledge you and PT are the boards
racing resources.

I am confused about at least one thing, however.  Your post, and your  recent
posts, re PHRF indicated it was necessary to declare what sails you were
using in getting a PHRF - for example you might declare a spinnaker and  that
factor would go into your PHRF.  However, if you search the web there  are whole
classes of boats with announced PHRFs, and I’ve found at least  one site that
will let you compute a PHRF if you know the dimensions of your  boat and it’s
sail characteristics (I, J) - I assume they are using the standard  sail plan
for each boat when they make that calculation but I noted there was no
allowance for spinnakers, asymmetrical spinnakers, etc.  So is PHRF  something a
committee awards you for a specific race based on what specific  sails you
declare you will be use for that race, or is it a number that is  derived from the
basic sail plan for the boat and can be cited, with caution,  for the entire
class of boats?  Or are there different types of PHRFs;  for example, a club
PHRF and a class PHRF?

A lot of info on the web gives generic PHRFs - for example there might  be a
PHRF for a Ranger 23 or O'Day 19 - with no reference to specific  sails.  Are
they all wrong?

Dave