[Rhodes22-list] Battteries (HUMOR)

Michael Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Thu Apr 12 13:18:50 EDT 2007

Bill,

I am no longer interested in batteries, solar panels or even recharging
using the outboard.  In order to increase the output of my lighting to rival
that of a cruise ship and my stereo so that you can hear my choice of music
in CT as I leave my dock on LI, I am going to place a generator on my R22.
My first choice was an environmentally friendly unit (pedal-power.jpg) but I
fear that I will not be able to pedal while tacking. So, I chose a small
(200kw), trailerable unit, in keeping with the R22 as a trailerable craft
(200kw_generator_1.gif).  When I found out that tandem trailering is not
permitted, I moved to an onboard unit that will occupy much of the V berth
space (Generator.jpg) but, of course, I am concerned with adequate
ventilation.  Finally, I broke down and am currently trying to plan for the
installation of a full steam powered generator system possibly with the
nuclear fuel option (BigGenerator.jpg), once I can find a bit more room.

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
     Nissequogue, NY

From: Bill Effros Thursday, April 12, 2007 12:36 PM

Bob,

Stay away from this complexity.  It's simply not needed in our boats.
Nobody runs out of power on our boats.  The golf cart batteries don't fit
anywhere.

If you are worried about this, get an outboard with electric
start/generator.  If your battery runs out, you pull the starter cord, start
your motor, and it will provide you with enough electricity to power your
running lights.  That's all you need.  If it's daytime, you don't need any
power at all.

When a golf cart battery is dead a golf cart can't move.  Not so a sailboat.

Your car doesn't have 2 golf cart batteries wired in series.  Why not?

The biggest draw most of us put on our batteries is the stereo system.

I'm done.

Bill Effros