[Rhodes22-list] Don Imus

DCLewis1 at aol.com DCLewis1 at aol.com
Sun Apr 15 23:45:36 EDT 2007

Todd,

With all due respect, I think the people that have made this a
Sharpton/Jackson issue are being a little devious.  The issue is Imus,  MSNBC and CBS, not
Sharpton/Jackson, black women, rap, or  certainly-any-other-issue-than-Imus.
The argumentation technique is called  change the subject, put the burden on
someone other than Imus.  The issue  is Imus and his behavior.  I think we
could stop spending a lot  of time focusing on Sharpton-did-this/Jackson-did-that
and keep narrowly focused  on Imus and the effect he’s had on these young
ladies, and whether they deserved  it.

As to your statement “ there is no positive outcome from the trouble Al
Sharpton started...unless you consider getting Don Imus fired a plus.”  I  think
you’re wrong.  The present dispute can resolve a long festering need  to curb
abusive behavior by all shock-jocks and the networks that support  them.  Today
networks understand that if they can get a suitably offensive  shock-jock on
board they can make $XM. The shock-jock can make even more.   If tomorrow they
understand that they can make $XM, but they have a legal  liability risk of
$YB (or $y100M) they will reasonably reconsider their efforts  and perhaps
temper their enthusiasm.  One tangible positive result from  this present flail
would be to clearly establish that there are substantial  risks and costs, not
just profit, associated with shock-jock behavior.

As to your thinking Whitelock makes a lot of sense: you are not the issue,
the issue is the black community.  What do they think?  Who has more  support
in the black community, Whitelock or Sharpton?  I don't know the  answer to
that, and you don't either, but I'd bet Whitelock has precious little  support.

JMO.

Dave