[Rhodes22-list] leaks

DCLewis1 at aol.com DCLewis1 at aol.com
Mon Apr 16 00:11:38 EDT 2007

Art,

Thanks for your input.  It makes sense, but off-setting that is a  series of
posts - I think from Bill Effros - to the effect that a lot of people  who put
tarps over their boats/cockpits find the tarps pool with water  or snow, and
then there is a problem.  Better to leave the cockpit clear  and keep your
drains open.  Also, I imagine that if you tarpped, or BR'd  the whole cockpit for
an extended time you might get a serious dose of  mildew.

This past winter we covered 1/2 the cockpit with a tarp.  The tarp on  the
1/2 that was covered did have substantial pooling issues - nothing fatal
because we visited the boat often, sometimes just to clear the pools. The  half of
the cockpit that was uncovered drained well.  There were no mildew  problems.
Next winter we may  leave the boat for several months at a  stretch, in which
case pooling could be a big issue if we just use a tarp.

I imagine there are ways around the pooling/mildew issues on a cover that
would be left up for months in the winter for weeks at a time in the summer, but
 do you think it would be a BR?   My thought that you'd  put up a BR to
protect you for spring/summer/fall overnights when sailing,  as opposed to leaving
it up for literally months to protect the boat from  the elements (high winds,
sleet, snow, and rain)  over winter and  summer. I've outlined our experience
with a tarp.   I'm not sure  what the answer is.

Your thoughts?

Dave