[Rhodes22-list] Best Location for Stereo Speaker Installation

David Culp daculp at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 20:24:46 EDT 2007

Hi list:

I did a search of the archives because I thought for sure someone had
probably done a stereo speaker installation before and discussed it.
Nothing came back in results except for Rummy's recent discussion of stereo
drain on his battery.

I have picked out two possible sites to install the speakers:  The best
place for what little sound quality you can expect in the cockpit of a
sailboat will probably be in the cabin bulkheads on each side of the
companion way door facing the cockpit.  The wires can be hidden there
between the bulkhead and liner and it is in close proximity to the
electrical switching panel in the cabin and the stereo unit.  The other
location I thought of which is not as good but would less unsightly in the
cabin would be in the lazerette under the seats on each side.  The sound
wouldn't be nearly as good, but I wouldn't have to cut the cabin liner to
accommodate the speaker magnets.

The stereo unit itself is going to mount where the old VHF used to be.

Anyone with stereo speakers already mounted or any experience mounting a
stereo system in the Rhodes, I would appreciate hearing them.

I have two flush mount 6.5 inch speakers from West Marine and a nice Sony
CD/CDR/MP3 ready to mount.  The unit will drive 4 speakers but I only want
two unless someone knows better.

Thanks,

David Culp