[Rhodes22-list] Q about topping lift

Lou Rosenberg lsr3 at MAIL.nyu.edu
Fri Jul 27 12:31:47 EDT 2007

  Mike
  My std mast has 4 sheaves.  I am going to assume that one side fwd
to aft set of sheaves has to be dedicated to the main halyard.  The
other side can be split using the fwd sheave for my
Harken furler and the aft sheave for the topping lift?  Is that correct?

  I would welcome all the help I can get at this point!   Thanks,  I
will stay in contact
  as the date for mast raising and final rigging gets closer.

  I plan to also add a Dutchman Boom Brake on the rig as well as I am
going to be singlehanding this most of the time.

Thanks again for your offer of help.
  Lou

>Lou,
>
>Congratulations on nearing term for your "baby".  If you need help rigging
>or launching, we are only 40 miles or so east of you.  We would be happy to
>help.
>
>On my '81 standard mast rig there are 2 sheaves (pulleys) on the top of the
>mast.  We needed to add a cleat to the base of the mast to tie off the
>topping lift.  The line should run up the mast opposite the halyard through
>the other sheave and down to the stern end of the boom.  There are 2 tangs
>on my boom, 1 for the traveller and 1 that we use for the topping lift.  I
>used a brass "dog leash" style clip for quick release at the boom tang
>rather than standard sailing hardware (I like it better and it has
>substantial weight to help if it is released into the wind.)  After raising
>the main, you may need to slack off on the topping lift for proper sail
>shape and handling.
>
>Mike
>s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
>Nissequogue River, NY
>
>From: "Lou Rosenberg" lsr3 at MAIL.nyu.edu Friday, July 27, 2007 11:44 AM
>>  >
>>>Rummy.
>>   Thanks Rummy, Its going to be like having a baby!
>>   Question about rigging:
>>
>>   Where do I attach my topping lift?  On my standard  mast there is no
>>  extra place on the mast head to attach it.  Does it share the same
>>  space as the back stay bolt?
>>   Lou

  Do you believe the 9/11 Commission's findings or are you in the 49%
of  New Yorkers who don't believe the report and want another
investigation?

  ASK QUESTIONS / DEMAND ANSWERS
  visit any one of these sites for more information.
http://911source.org

   http://www.reopen911.org/

      http://www.loosechange911.com

         http://scholarsfor911truth.org

            http://911truth.org

           http://www.911blogger.com

                    http://911independentcommission.org/questions

                 911  WAS AN INSIDE JOB.  YOUR CIVIL LIBERTIES ARE IN PERIL.