[Rhodes22-list] Reply for Brad (Help solve a problem.)

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 09:10:43 EST 2008

Rummy,

My son and I replaced the whole pump yesterday ($30) and it still
won't run on its own but does when you spoon feed it fuel.  The new
pump did fill the filter and line whereas the old pump didn't.  My
brother still thinks it is an intake valve out of adjustment (overhead
valve engine) but my airplane mechanic thinks it is the carburetor.
I'm headed to the hangar this morning to try the valve adjustment.
Since this thing gets used for less than a dozen hours a year in its
new role, I'm only going to use AvGas in it from now on. Look at the
bottom of the bowl on your John Deere and tell me what the solenoid
does.  Is that the fuel shut-off from the "kill switch" or part of the
auto-throttle?  I assumed that the "kill switch" shut-off ignition.
The net has been of little help finding the answer. If that turns out
to be the culprit I'll just remove it and plug the hole.

Brad