[Rhodes22-list] 8 Lowes on Country Rhodes Sunday

Steven Alm stevenalm at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 16:38:24 EDT 2008

Caesar,

In light winds you take the traveler all the way to weather so you can get
the boom on the center line.  This actually lengthens the distance of the
main sheet--as opposed to having the traveler centered and the sheet close
hauled.  By taking the traveler to weather you not only get the boom on the
center line for higher pointing, you also allow the boom to rise a bit which
creates more twist aloft.  However this is not a hands-off setup.  You have
to move the traveler each time you tack.  The way I do it is to dump the
traveler all the way to the lee just before I tack.  The wind blows it over
and then I secure it, then come about and it's now on the weather side.

In higher winds you do what you described.  Ease the traveler to the lee
some to reduce the sheet length and flatten out the sail.  And yes, with
that setup you can adjust both sides so you don't have to touch it when you
tack.

You can also use the traveler to dump wind in a big gust.  Because the
traveler is only 2:1 purchase and the main sheet is 4:1, dumping the
traveler is a lot faster.  But sometimes it's hard to get the traveler back
up after the gust is over.

Hope this helps,

Slim