[Rhodes22-list] Warning - Brad's download takes 17 minutes - Political - very controversial

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Mon Oct 6 22:37:06 EDT 2008

I worked a union job several years back, working at a cement plant. I
saw issues on both sides of the union debate.

There was a job at the plant, a valve operator. The job was one of the
highest paying jobs at the cement plant, and dated back to the early
1900's, when a worker would have to climb a ladder up a silo, toting a
great big wrench, and manually adjust valves to redirect the flow of the
powdered cement from the mill to the right silos. It was a nasty job,
because no matter what the weather was like, 100f + in the summer, and
knock ice off the 150ft ladder in the winter (we get both here), it had
to be done when the mill changed what it was milling, or a silo filled.

Because of that, like I said, it was a high paying job.

It was also written into the contract that no jobs could be eliminated,
or even downgraded, because of new techonology. So, when the plant
install elevators so folks didn't have to climb the ladders, the job
remained in the second highest paying hourly category.

When they installed pneumatic switches, so you no longer had to tote a
wrench to change the valves, you merely pressed a button, the job
remained in the second highest paying category. They even eventually
installed air conditioners in the control room, and yes, it remained in
the second highest paying job category.

Since (in the early days), they were regularly on top of the silos, part
of the job was to measure the amount of cement in each silo at least
once every hour. This was to ensure that the cement was going into the
silos that everyone thought it was going into. In other words, as a
check to make sure that pumper had routed them directly.

As the new technology at the plant evolved, the job basically consisted
of pushing some buttons during the day, and taking the elevator to the
top to measure once an hour.

Pretty easy work overall, but not easy enough for some people. Some of
the workers figured they really didn't have to leave the air conditioned
office. They could just write down the amount of cement that was
supposed to be in the silo. After all, we knew where it was supposed to
be going, and how much was supposed to be in there.

One guy did that, and got busted. Unfortunately, the way he got busted
was expensive for the company. They made a special hardened cement
(imaginatively called "Type H") for oil wells. We pumped some normal
cement to a company that was supposed to be getting type H. When it
cracked into pieces in their well, they sued the company. The company
tracked back, and fired the pumper because he had 1) Pumped the wrong
type of cement into the H silo, and 2) had falsified company records
when he documented the fill.

He fought the firing, and sued (with a union paid lawyer) for 6 months
back pay. The settled in arbitration.

That was back in the late 80'. The plant is located in Mexico now. It
eventually got cheaper to pay transportation here than labor costs here.
Score one short term victory for the union though.