[Rhodes22-list] Sailing with waves

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Wed Oct 8 09:18:46 EDT 2008

Bill Effros said, “Heaving to under these conditions is a kick, and
definitely what I would do if I found myself in a storm not on purpose.”

Mary Lou said, “We've never been successful getting the boat to heave…”

David B. said, “Is fall line actually a nautical term…”

Andrew, I have gotten the message that you do not like to research and would
rather pull terms out of a box.  However, nautical jargon is used to
describe specifics.  Look here:

http://www.marinewaypoints.com/learn/glossary/glossary.shtml#H

Scroll down to:  “Heave To” - To stop a boat and maintain position (with
some leeway) by balancing rudder and sail to prevent forward movement, a
boat stopped this way is "hove to"; such as when in heavy seas. The idea is
to bring the wind onto the weather bow and hold the ship in that position,
where she can safely and easily ride out a storm.

Amazing, the meaning of nautical terms.  And this stuff even applies on the
Long Island Sound.  Nautical jargon when used gives the guy on Puget Sound
the accurate message.  Bookmark the page so as to maybe use nautical terms
[Having to do with boats, ships, or sailing.], even if just to sound good.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each
generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century,
civilization would die, and we should be savages again." Will and Ariel
Durant

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA
"As a result of a near mutiny the overbearing and arrogant Captain Obama was
forced to see a psychiatrist by order of the commodore. As soon as Captain
Obama became comfortable on the couch, the psychiatrist began the session by
asking the captain, "Why don't you start at the beginning?" The Captain
Obama said, " Okay. In the beginning I created heaven and the earth......."