[Rhodes22-list] Nautical term 'surfing'

Andrew Collins sailingvesselcarmen at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 18:21:31 EDT 2008

Michael

I actually liked Bernoulli in school, it always came out OK at the end!

Thanks for the hint, it could be argued that surfing down a wave would
technically be the beginning of coming onto plane, except that planing is
the condition where the hull rises out of the trough created by the bow
wave, and I just do not know if sailboats going down swells actually do that
when they exceed hull speed. I suspect they just gather speed as gravity
pulls them down. I.

All the BS aside, that zig zag manoeuver was hell of a lot of fun.

Andrew