[Rhodes22-list] POLITICAL - Peter and Robert

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 22:44:33 EDT 2008

Herb,

The very short version of a very long story is that five senators met
with regulators with oversight of Savings & Loans.  Lincoln S&L, owned
by Charles Keating was considered a constituent of all five.  In the
case of McCain, Keating lived in Arizona and had a personal
relationship with the McCain family.  In the case of the other
Senators, Lincoln had offices in their districts.  Lincoln went
belly-up during the S&L crisis and the 'gubment' got stuck for a 2
Billion dollar tab. Keating went to jail. The Senate ethics committee
investigated the five - Alan Cranston, Dennis DeConcini , John Glenn,
John McCain, and Donald W. Riegle and found no wrongdoing on McCain
and Glen's part but they were caught-up in a witch hunt that turned
political.  The other three were found guilty of ethical lapses.
McCain admitted it was bad judgement on his part and the case was
largely responsible for his pledge to be an ethical reformer.  Far
from being a black mark on his career, it could be seen as a pivotal
moment that changed him forever.  The bottom line - money corrupts.

Brad