[Rhodes22-list] POLITICAL - Jay B.s post

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Fri Oct 10 18:43:52 EDT 2008

I meant the bumper sticker itself was too hard to read. I read it, but I
don't think passing motorists would be able to.

"Couldn't" might have been the wrong word, wouldn't is likely more
appropriate. I think people totally misunderstand the "Freedom of
Speech" issue. Yes, by all means this company has the right to sell
them, and I would in no means want to legally restrict that right.
However, I not only have the right, but I feel I have the moral duty to
determine for myself, who I'm going to support.

When a company feels it's proper (and I believe it goes beyond "bad
taste") to sell bumper stickers advocating the killing of another human
being because of their distaste for that person, that's enough for me
that I would not purchase from them.

Yes, Wal-Mart has things that are in bad taste, but not that bad. I
don't mind buy from a Wal-Mart that sells cigarettes, nor do I mind
buying from one that sells ashtrays that say "put your butt here" and
shaped like a pig's butt. However, if they sold KKK banners, I'd be
shopping elsewhere.

Call it extreme if you like, I don't mind being extreme.

At the company I work for, there are about 35 employees currently. Out
of those 35, only one is my boss, the majority owner. He has two
partners, but neither of them have enough ownership to outvote him, and
actually one of them reports to me in the org chart.I've known and
worked for him in one capacity for another for 18 years. By this time
next year, he and I fully expect that I will be a minority partner (I
won't change my race or gender, but I'll own a piece of the company). If
he were to make the statement shown on that bumper sticker, I would be
looking for a new job the next day.

Call it extreme if you like, I don't mind being extreme.

If one of my family members displayed such a bumper sticker, my response
would depend on the family member, and where I was. An aunt, mother,
cousin, etc, I'd tell them it was rude, and just make it a point not to
be around them while displaying that level of rudeness. Where it one of
my kids or a grandkid (they're not old enough yet, but they will be
someday), I'd tell them that was not the way they were raised, and that
the vehicle would not be allowed in front of my home.

Call it extreme if you like, I don't mind being extreme.

It's funny you mention family, and this may be part of the reason I'd be
"extreme" on a position like this. I was a kid living on military
housing in PA when MLK was killed. My mother, God bless her dear heart,
raised in the tradition of the south at the time, made the comment, in
front of her children "Good, that's one nigger that needed to be shot".

I'll never have a family member think that's OK. BTW, even she has
changed a lot since then. My stepfather is a Mexican National, now a
naturalized citizen.

But, this all goes to people standing up for what they believe. No, "bad
taste" of the cigarette ashtrays shaped like a pig's but is not worth
taking a stand on. However, some things are. Offering that a person
should be murdered because of their skin color or believes fits that
category. And I have no problem doing so in my little world.

I think if more people stood up for their beliefs, we'd have a nicer world.