[Rhodes22-list] Slim the Rude B'turd

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 22:37:21 EDT 2008

Slim,

You're probably working (I use that term loosely) right now.  In
defense of Iowa, I love the place despite the way they vote.  In
earlier days, I used to ride RAGBRAI every year - the Des Moines
Registrar, Registrar's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa. It was
roughly 20,000 adults on the equivalent of spring break only it was
late July. A third of the original settlers of Iowa were German
immigrants so every little farm town has at least two bars.  Every
day's ride was anywhere between 60 to 90 miles but if you thought of
it as "only 4 miles to the next beer" no day was that difficult.
There's a gazillion stories that came out of those years, many that
can't be told in a sailor's bar because they're too raunchy, but
here's one of my favorites that's family approved.

My buddy and I were waiting in line at a Chinese restaurant in
downtown Des Moines that would seat about 30.  There were at least 300
people waiting to get in.  We barged to the front of the line and told
the teenage daughter who was seating people to tell her parents to get
every employee busy cooking.  We picked some people out of the line
and told them to go to the kitchen and start washing dishes.  We
grabbed a few more and got them busy bussing tables, a few more taking
orders.  All in all, we added about 10 "employees" and the kid took
the money.  It was a hoot! They made more money in two hours than they
did in a month.

I'd tell you some of the other stories from Iowa but I'd have to kill you.

Brad