[Rhodes22-list] Slim the Rude B'turd

Steven Alm stevenalm at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 05:57:11 EDT 2008

Brad,

I've wirked a lot here in Iowa over the years and last night was the
exception with the idiots I had to deal with.  Tonight was a different
story.  Packed house, rockin' scene, awesome show.  Everything we did flew
like your jet.  I'd tell you what we made in tips but I'd have to kill you.
They give us free food and drinks and don't skimp on anything.  The
bartenders send shots up to the stage all night to keep us very well
lubricated.  Lots of cute, drunk corn-fed Iowa party girls.  Gotta luv 'em.
The owners treat us like kings and put us up in Drury Suites where we get
plasma TVs and free happy hour drinks and snacks.  Iowa has been belly,
belly good to me.  Next week I'm in South Dakota and I doubt we'll get the
same treatment.

Interesting though, no signs of recession at the clubs.  When times are
good, people go out and hoist a few.  When times are bad, people go out and
hoist a few.  My business is recession-proof.  I sell celebration in good
times and I sell diversion in bad times.  Musicians found plenty of wurk
during the Great Depression and today is no different.  My calendar is full
through the end of the year.  I'm afraid to look at my retirement accounts
right now but at least my income looks safe for now.  Hope the checks don't
bounce.

Slim