[Rhodes22-list] straight talk

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 07:27:52 EDT 2008

Peter,

First, we'll discuss Palin and then discuss why in the long run, none
of this may matter.

Palin was noticed by the Alaska GOP as a rising star and was slated
for higher office.  She was supposed to be appointed by Murkowsky's
old US Senate seat when he won the Governors office but he picked his
daughter instead. He offered Sarah several jobs in his administration
but the one she agreed to was as a member of the Oil & Gas Board.
That's a hugely powerful position because it is the primary source of
revenue for AK.  What she found when she got there was a lot of
corruption and got members fired, fined, and jailed. She lost the race
for Lt. Governor but then challenged Murkowsky in the primary and beat
him, then beat a former Governor in the general election.  The big 3
oil companies in Alaska had been doing business with a series of
Governors behind closed doors for decades.  She raised the severance
tax on them (not really a tax as we think of taxes, but the price
Alaskans get for the oil that the citizens own).  She let one oil
company CEO sit in the waiting room of her office all day just to show
him that things had changed with her administration.  The big 3 had
stalled on building a natural gas pipeline for decades because they
wanted the state to pay for it.  She made an end run and got a
Canadian company to bid building the pipeline.  Suddenly, the big 3
"found" the money in their budgets and the eventual product will be a
consortium of companies.  She's no dummy and she knows how to play
hardball.  You will be in good company if you underestimate her. I've
never been a big fan of McCain and I'm still not.  I would like to see
him turn Sarah loose on DC and clean house (no sexism intended).

Now, here's why none of this may matter.  As I've stated before, Rezko
is talking and his sentencing has been postponed indefinitely. The
Governor of Illinois is going down as well as some others.  Whether he
turns on Obama or what he's got on Obama is unknown, we'll see soon
enough.  The feds have started a RICO investigation on the Obama
campaign.  Too much foreign money has flowed in, too many voter fraud
cases, too many strong-armed tactics. Will any of this come out before
the election?  The Ohio fraud cases will this weekend.  Personally, I
don't think Obama is doing as well in the polls as everyone thinks but
that's just a guess.  If this turns out to be a close election and
Obama wins, expect a repeat of 2000 only this time with criminal
investigations. Obama has accumulated too many fleas from his Chicago
days to escape being hounded for his entire term.  Hillary supporters
are working with investigators on the RICO investigations.  They're
pissed over how they were treated by the Chicago thugs in the
primaries, especially in the caucus states, but that's primarily a
party issue and doesn't fall under federal law.  The general election
does and the Chicago Boyz have seriously overplayed their hand.

I'll post more as the story unfolds.

Brad