[Rhodes22-list] Yawl for Ben

elle watermusic38 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 14 00:51:16 EDT 2008

Hi, Mike,

Thanks for your kind words...photographing the race ...130 boats!.....was really a challenge with the boat pitching in the waves & wind & spray....loads of fun. If you can't sail in a race, then being in the middle of it w/ a camera is the next best thing....;^). I did chicken out, tho' and switch from A Priority back & forth to Auto...the boats were really booking..the burst mode was a boon for those photos as I could be sure at least one would be framed pleasingly.

Re the vignetting: I had neglected to remove the daylight filter from the lens before putting the circular polarizer on...hence the vignetting. That will be easy enuf to remove.

I'm really undecided about using any filters at all...the sensor doesn't seem to like them, even having just a daylight filter to protect the front of the lens reduces sharpness...That's a trial for another day. If I'd thought to raise the ISO from 100 I might have had different results.....

One sweet thing about this lens I'm using...(the Nikkor 18-200 VR)...it has two VR settings...one to compensate for handheld camera shake, and a second setting to use when the shooting platform is moving. It works!

I'll post some more here and after next week  to my site. this weekend I'm doing a nature photography workshop in Leesburg with a noted wildlife photographer. Hope to have some nice stuff to post when I return.

Picture #2 (1211) is one of the classes at the start. The committee boat is on the right.

More tomorrow...Gaff rigger coming up.

elle