[Rhodes22-list] Political - McCain, Me First

Lowe, Rob rlowe at vt.edu
Tue Oct 14 11:19:46 EDT 2008

Ben,
Thanks.  Good read.  I tend to agree.  I've never been able to put what
I felt into these words, but this article does.  The GOP seems to have
railed against the educated, coastal pointy-heads (love that phrase),
elitist, or whatever you want to call them.  And they've driven out
anyone (for the most part), except Joe Six Pack.  If you're not a ditto
head, we don't want you.   I've been saying for some time that the
Democrats are the party for thinkers and debaters while the Republicans
just believe.  The Republican strategy worked for some time.  But the
Dems have caught on.  They now court the NASCAR crowd and the hunters.
Down my way, ten years ago it was all "sportsmen for (pick your GOP
candidate)".  Not anymore.  Obama has spent a lot of time in Southwest
Virginia, one of the homes of Joe Six Pack, and it's working.  There is
even a chance that Virginia could go Democratic for the first time in a
long time.  We shall see. - rob