[Rhodes22-list] POLITICAL replies to Peter L about trooper gate and to Ben C about his question earlier today

Ben Cittadino bcittadino at dcs-law.com
Tue Oct 14 17:20:56 EDT 2008

Pete;

Speaking of Gov. Palin, Frank Rich (of the NYTimes) had a reference in his
excellent column this past Sunday about her quote from Westbrook Pegler:

No less disconcerting was a still-unexplained passage of Palin’s convention
speech: Her use of an unattributed quote praising small-town America (as
opposed to, say, Chicago and its community organizers) from Westbrook
Pegler, the mid-century Hearst columnist famous for his anti-Semitism,
racism and violent rhetorical excess. After an assassin tried to kill F.D.R.
at a Florida rally and murdered Chicago’s mayor instead in 1933, Pegler
wrote that it was “regrettable that Giuseppe Zangara shot the wrong man.” In
the ’60s, Pegler had a wish for Bobby Kennedy: “Some white patriot of the
Southern tier will spatter his spoonful of brains in public premises before
the snow falls.”

I don't believe it is possible to justify any use of Pegler's words in any
context in this day and age.  Either she (or her speech-writer) are Pegler
disciples, or guilty of appallingly bad judgment. Westbrook Pegler was a
very bad guy.

Best wishes,

Ben C.

P.S.- Ed- Let me get this straight; You don't listen to Limbaugh, except
when you do?  Is that it? Anyway,
WFAN(660 AM) is the place for sports talk up this way.  Give it a listen
next time you're up this way to take in a Broadway Show.