[Rhodes22-list] Legal: Ben Please Help

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Wed Oct 22 21:09:51 EDT 2008

I think you're letting your anger get the better of you.

Let's do a hypothetical. Clinton screwed around on his wife, and
attempted to parse the word "is". It was an idiotic move. But, let's
pretend you and I are discussing it, and I say to you:

=====
Ben,

If you have sex with the woman next door, and you tell your wife "I did
not sleep with that woman", when in fact you were thinking "Nope, I was
awake the whole time".

Would that not make you a liar, even though you were speaking the
literal truth, you were lying

=====

Now Ben, that is what NOT me saying you are had sex with the woman next
door, or that you misled your wife, or that you're a liar. That is me
putting the YOU in the story as a hypothetical, and leading it with the
all important word "IF".

You may or may not feel that Ed was doing that with you when he said
"What are the elements of Conspiracy?......*IF* you do not say anything
are you a co-conspirator?" (my emphasis). He didn't say you were not
saying anything, he was offering a hypothetical. In addition, he was
talking about the conspiracy to cover up Obama's past (if memory serves
me right). That's not a crime.

On the Ben Ayers thing, you probably won't like this, but he did the
same thing. He posed a hypothetical
"Ben discounted the Bill Ayres thing. Even *IF* he is a Marxist as is
Bill Ayres, he as an American has an obligation to speak the truth. In
America a Marxist is obligated to tell the truth and not lie about it .
So it goes with his candidate Obama"

He said IF you are a marxist, you have an obligation to be honest about
it (I don't agree with him, I think you're under no obligation to tell
the truth about yourself). He then went on to apply that standard to
your candidate Obama (I DO agree with him on that one, a presidential
candidate has an obligation to be honest about himself).

Sorry Ben, in both instances ed CLEARLY stated "if". In both of them, he
said if a certain condition were met, you should act in a certain way.
In neither of them did he say that condition was met.
.
You may or may not agree with that, but it's right there in the original
post, and in your quotation of it. Sorry I didn't do what you wanted,
but I'll probably miss that mark many times in the future, but I really
am pretty consistent in what I do, and what I believe.

And even if you don't agree with his intent, I STRONGLY disagree with
your statement

"There is no way that statement can be read by anyone to say anything
other than that Ed says I am a Marxist. "

Clearly, if you read closely, and without anger, there IS a reasonable
"way" that statement can be read different than your interpretation.

But, let's assume for a moment that Ed was doing exactly what you say he
was doing. It's talk. No threat of action. That just puts him right
there with the idiots that spout off about "religious kooks" and
"thinkers and debaters vs just believers". And yes, I find those terms
offensive. And no, I don't look for anyone to "stand up" for me when
they're spoken (though I do bristle some when some of you, yourself
included, object to me standing up to it myself).

On the other hand, had Ed said "Ben, you keep talking like that, you'd
probably be better off sailing in a different area than me, because I've
been known to keep a poor watch and run into things a time or two" I
would have said he's an asshole. Without hesitation.

Nothing on here is worthy of a threat of action, or at least nothing
I've seen, and I've seen a lot worse than being called a marxist. And,
as has already been pointed out, I'm not the only one that saw your
words as a threat.