[Rhodes22-list] Re spect

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Fri Oct 24 16:31:38 EDT 2008

I suspect Brad was talking about Fiscal issues, and that put me pretty
close in the middle. I suspect though, that the scoring is off. I don't
think you'll see many "socially moderate conservatives" on the list, or
anywhere else. I think THAT was the point.

In addition, many of the socially questions didn't have answers that fit
what I wanted. I tended to take more conservative answers than really
fit my belief:

For instance:
Civil unions should be an option for the gay community, but the term
marriage should be reserved for heterosexual couples.
	We need a Constitutional Amendment to protect the institution of
marriage and define it as an act between a man and woman.
	Gay & lesbian couples deserve the right to marry and receive the same
legal benefits as heterosexual couples.
	Individual States should have the choice of whether to recognize gay &
lesbian couples.
	No Opinion

The first option and the third are completely compatible:
I believe MARRIAGE should be reserved for heterosexual, and CIVIL UNIONS
should be allowed, if a state so desires. However, I couldn't choose
both, so I went with the first. I wonder how many points the "other way"
would have skewed it had I selected option 3.

	Government should be primarily focused on security and/or regulatory
issues and should reduce its role in providing social services.
	Providing social services ranging from school lunches to Medicare is a
primary function of government.
	The government should be actively involved in supporting social
services, but should do so primarily through grants to and support of
private organizations.
	Government-provided social services are important, but current levels
are far too high.
	No Opinion

This one is poorly structured:
#1 is clearly the answer (for me), because it said "primarily". however,
#4 also mirrors my view.

	The government should regulate the content of television and radio
broadcast on public airwaves to reduce the violence and/or sex on
broadcasts.
	The government should let television and radio determine their own
content. Individuals can make their own viewing and listening choices.
	The government should provide economic incentives for corporations to
focus on more family-friendly programming.
	Big media conglomerates have far too much control of the nation's
airwaves and are too cozy with government.
	No Opinion

#1 is out, because it said "reduce". I don't think we have a particular
problem with TV right now that needs MORE government intervention. At
the same time, I think regulation is necessary. I picked "no opinion"
because none of these fi my view.

	A free market will naturally regulate the issues most important to
Americans. Government should work to de-regulate industries as much as
possible.
	The excessive environmental regulations placed on business are
counterproductive and only hurt the economy.
	Regulation is necessary to protect both our safety and the environment
from corporations only concerned with net profit.
	Regulations are a healthy strategy for long-term growth while
protecting all members of society.
	No Opinion

This is way too vague, and poorly worded, it doesn't define
"regulation". The current anti-monopoly laws are a form of "regulation",
I think we need them.
#2 is self-affirming. By that, I mean they use the word "excessive". If
it's excessive, by definition it is too much (that's what the word means)
#3 assumes that coporations are only concerned with "net profit"
#4 doesn't define "regulations" well enough. Obviously, the "excessive"
stuff from #2 should be done away with, but the overall statement
doesn't fit my view.

So, I decided to stop "debating and thinking" on this one, and "Just
believe" that "no opinion" is going to have to do.

=====
Overall, I don't think the poll is worded in a way that really reflects
the type of "middle of the road" attitudes that Brad was talking about.

Nothing about whether or not believing in God made you a "religious
kook". Nothing about whether is was a good thing that 20% of taxpayers
pay 68% of the total taxes.

I could go on, but I think you see my point.

I'm really not a big believer in polls. My statistical analysis class in
college made it pretty clear that you can get you want - Tell me the
numbers, and I'll from the questions to get 'em.