[Rhodes22-list] Political reply to Ben C - you are kidding?

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Sat Oct 25 07:51:14 EDT 2008

“Bill Clinton was a Rhodes Scholar…”  “Surely you realize this post graduate
grant is the single most prestigious, competitive, sought after,
challenging, and rewarding academic honor that a college graduate can
receive. Please tell me you accept that fact.”

Ben in American it is acceptable to have people with other opinions.  It is
understood that one opinion is not necessarily the absolute epiphany.

So as to your statement, I will accept what you said about ‘a Rhodes
Scholar’ as fact to you.  And that is your opinion.

My opinion is not the same and my values are not the same.  And I know other
Americans who share my opinion, and may know some who share yours.

As for the part that part that says, “single most prestigious, competitive,
sought after, challenging, and rewarding academic honor…”  I suggest that
may be true, but only to those who seek that specific type recognition.

Your definition does not include ‘Scientific Achievements’ of an academic
nature.  Your definition does not include ‘Achievements’ of economic,
religious, social (to include community) and a plethora of achievements that
may have other or different academic measurements.

So I give the Rhodes Scholar the same or equal weight as cum laude or summa
cum laude, or other academic honors.

In summary, while it is nice to have some who go to another country to study
for a year or two, I do not limit my recognition of important achievement to
that group.  I am not a Mormon, but their practice of sending young men on
missions to different parts of this country or other countries accomplishes
a similar education.

A researcher who finds important medical facts about diseases to me is an
equal or greater achievement. than a Rhodes Scholar.  And, note that this
can be accomplished in an Academic laboratory.

A young lady who finds a husband and has several children and imparts into
those children important societal values to me is a higher achievement than
your Rhodes Scholar.

So, we do not agree.  Others are free to agree with you.  What we are
talking about is the difference between 'Conservative' values and
liberalism.

Ed K
addendum, ""A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the
high virtues of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of
necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are
of higher obligation."    Thomas Jefferson