[Rhodes22-list] centerboard repair - cap sealant? reply to Saroj

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Tue Oct 28 17:48:30 EDT 2008

Lou,
If it ain't broken, why bother fixing it?

Rummy

In a message dated 10/28/2008 3:08:57 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
lsr3 at nyu.edu writes:

Saroj

Yes I am the one who posted the article with Roger on the  Owner's site.
when I finally get MySpace page up it will have more pics of  the job.

insofar as  tightening or torquing the bolts so that no  leak occurs I
will say that its one of the most important jobs  before launcing.
My CB is still a work in progress so I will pull it after  just
sailing the first 3 months after working on the boat for 4yrs..  Only
to check the
pivot and examine my trunk.  My board gave  me absolutely no problem
and Im pulling the boat out Friday, God  willing.

Ok for the threading  I truly believe that the pennant  line should be
connected through its hole then treaded to two mini  blocks or
something that functions as such on the cap.  You are  saying below
that your line starts from a "small U bracket fore of  the foremost
block on the cap".   For a true mechanical  advantage in this small
area to work I think you need 2 blocks on  the board and two on the
cap.   Btw if you research the  archives you will see a  few pictures
of how the board is  supposed to be threaded.   I completely ripped
out  what makeshift things I had when i looked inside and installed
Harken Mini blocks which are really not that expensive. I made a
Ushaped bracket to hold my dual mini block Harken which attaches to
the inside of my cap with 2  1/4x20 bolts.

Last June I made  the mistake of using 5200 and got too much on the
pennant.  I  had to re install the board again ( one day wasted) and
used  Silicone sealant from Boatlife.  Just make sure you protect the
pennant from any sealant with a light plastic wrap from your
kitchen.   I also bought a  new Neoprene gasket and punched  holes .
This fall I intend to re use the neoprene if possible by  soaking the
gasket in mineral spirits for a few days.

As Ed  said 5200 is for permanent things on the boat.  Not the CB
gasket or the cap as you should look at it every few years on a good
boat.
good luck
Lou