[Rhodes22-list] Actual boating question

KUHN, LELAND LKUHN at cnmc.org
Fri Oct 31 08:58:41 EDT 2008

Jim,

Looks interesting:
http://www.gpsmagazine.com/2008/07/garmin_nuvi_500_review.php#1

My wife has one of the cheaper Nuvis in her car.  The larger screen on
the 500 will definitely be worth it.  If you're planning a trip, I would
definitely MapQuest it and carry a map along.  I love GPSs, especially
on golf carts, but you may not always agree with their directions.

I have the Garmin GPSMAP 376C for the boat:
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=148&pID=325

When my original hand-held was stolen, the 376 was the replacement from
my insurance company.  Had I researched GPSs, I probably would have
purchased something cheaper.  The best feature for me is the large
display of the boat's speed.  I can lean the GPS next to the bulkhead on
the galley counter and easily read the speed from the helm.  I rarely
use the other umpteen million features of the device.

The 500 might be able to enlarge the speed display, but it doesn't look
like it.  It's an interesting GPS for all that it does, but any tool
that performs more than one function usually isn't the best at
performing any of them.  Kind of like a MacGregor power-sailer.

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  At Ease
Kent Island, MD