[Rhodes22-list] Anchor Line Question?????

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Tue Apr 7 15:23:09 EDT 2009

Sounds like plenty to me. Where are you likely to want to anchor? How
deep is it? 25x7=175. Gives you enough for 22 ft of water at 7:1
scope. I think our main anchor rode is 200 and we've only ever maxed
it out once. That one time I wished I had a bit more as we were
anchored in 25 ft or water in Shaw Bay on the Wye River which is
notoriously bad holding - I suspect in part because people never have
enough scope as you don't have to put out that much rode almost
anywhere else on the Chesapeake. I think our #2 anchor has 175 ft but
I'm not sure.

Having said I'm not sure I went and checked our equipment list in the
front of our log book and it says 250 ft main rode and 200 ft
secondary. I may have to confirm that - it doesn't sound right to me.
I must be getting old - I can't remember if I know something or not.
I know we switched rodes and chains around when we switched anchors
to the Fortress but now I don't know if I verified the length of the
rode then or not. Another project.

On the Fortress website is a chart of the loads generated by
sailboats of various lengths in various strength winds. It is all
hypothetical but not as much as you might suspect.
http://www.fortressanchors.com/safe_anchoring.html

Best,
Mary Lou