[Rhodes22-list] Anchor Line Question?????

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Tue Apr 7 16:21:22 EDT 2009

Rummy,

When Elton delivered my boat he had all kinds of sage advice.  Two of them I
didn't believe:

1.  You may get less water in your bilge as leaks get filled up with dirt
and grime.  Sure enough, about the only time I get water in my bilge now is
during hurricane-like wind and rain when it blows in under the poptop.
Another good reason not to wash your boat too often.

2.  I have way too much anchor rope rode and it will just get in the way.  I
have 200' which, with a 7:1 scope, should be enough for anywhere around the
Chesapeake except the deepest areas of the shipping channel, which is
probably not a wise place to set anchor.

If I'm anchoring overnight it's likely that I'll be in 10' of water or less,
which would require about 70' of rope rode.  If I'm far from shore and want
to float around for an hour, I really don't need an anchor at all, even if I
don't heave to.  Even if I do drop anchor I don't actually need a 7:1 scope
for the anchor to set, and if it doesn't set it's a slow drag to anywhere
and easier to raise when it's time to set sail.

I use your method of rope rode storage and haven't had any more problems
with fouling, but I'd rather routinely use a short rode and tie more rope
onto it for those once in a lifetime situations.

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  At Ease
Kent Island, MD