[Rhodes22-list] Winter storage

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Sun Sep 23 07:58:02 EDT 2012

Assuming you are in a northern climate, I would not shrink wrap the R22.
Drop the mast and support it either with the mast crutch or from bow pulpit
to  stern rail. Add a little support in the middle (2 x 4) and use a tarp
over  the whole thing. Use one gallon plastic containers filled with sand or
water or  whatever and tie them to the eyes in the tarp to keep it in place.
Make sure to  keep leaves and debris out of the floor drain and also the
drains on either side  of the lazerette. The genny can be tied in place
alongside the mast. Remove the  battery, top it off with distilled water and charge
from time to time  or use a battery maintainer (cheap on EBay  $6.00 or so)
all winter long.  Drain all water from the fresh water tank and use a gallon
or so of NON toxic RV  anti-freeze and make sure it gets into the lines and
the faucet. Vodka is an  approved alternative and adding orange juice in
the spring makes it enjoyable  to re commission the boat. Remove porta potti
or winterize marine head if  so equipped. Remove motor and winterize per
manufacturers specification. Pour  any left over gasoline into personal vehicle
and make sure gas tank is clean.  Any 2 cycle oil in gas will simply burn
away and not hurt the vehicle.
If you are in a southern climate, such as South Carolina, forget all of the
 above and go sailing as often as possible. (If you still have water to
sail  on)

Rummy

In a message dated 9/22/2012 3:40:49 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,