[Rhodes22-list] Centerboard top glassed in?

Chris Geankoplis napoli68 at charter.net
Sun Jan 13 20:04:15 EST 2013

I had a brand new '76 which had pop rivets.  Back then that was the way they
did it.  Also the gasket if original would actually be a grey neoprene like
material.  I would just drill out all 87 (or whatever) of the rivets.   Then
get a new gasket, position it properly and clamp the top back on. You can
then re-drill the holes and use the bolts and nylock nuts and washers (top
and bottom) as described in a  previous email.  It is best to do this now
because even if it doesn't leak now it is bound to do so during your sailing
season some time.  It takes only a couple of hours to do the whole job, a
small price for peace of mind.  While you are at it you should replace the
tackle that lifts the centerboard, and the fitting and hose for the
centerboard pennant.  Inspect the thru hulls for the sink and cockpit drain
and replace if necessary along with the hoses.  My old '76 took me all over
the east coast and Bahamas and yours can too; you will be glad you bought
it.
Chris G
Medford OR.

-----Original Message-----nspe\\\