[Rhodes22-list] Salt Water Rhodes

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Wed Jan 16 16:36:04 EST 2013

We keep our boat in a slip so this may or may not be relevant. I
don't know what the fouling situation is like in the PNW but here in
the Upper Chesapeake where the water is brackish and we tend to get a
lot of slime buildup. Some years we also get a lot of barnacles and
weed. Most of our problems with the centerboard have been with slime
and weed and usually only on the lower edge. If we use the boat a lot
and move the board up and down once a week, it doesn't seem to be a
problem. If we let it sit, slime and sometimes weed build up and it
takes running it around under power and sailing and tacking a lot to
free it up. When we last had the centerboard and trunk painted (a few
years ago with the boat in slings) the yard manager told us that
stuff doesn't grow high up where light doesn't reach. So far our
experience has borne this out here in the brackish water of the Upper
Chesapeake.

My guess would be that if you are hauling the boat after every use,
you won't have to worry about growth of any sort. I do know that if
you take a boat from the Great Lakes to any other body of fresh
water, you are supposed to let everything dry out for a certain
period of time so as not to spread the zebra mussels. That hasn't
worked too well as they are now found thought the north east and have
recently shown up in the far northern reaches of the Chesapeake where
it is mostly fresh water.

Our outboard (a Yamaha 8 HT, electric start) has a flush port with a
hose connection. Very very convenient for flushing it after use.

Best,
Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Rock Hall, MD