[Rhodes22-list] deck thickness on older r22?

Graham Stewart gstewart8 at cogeco.ca
Sun Feb 9 20:15:30 EST 2014

Steve:

So far as I can tell, on my boat the question of spaces between the core and
the fibreglass skins on the decks (fore and side) did not apply to the cabin
top. I suspect that a cam cleat with horizontal forces would hold fine with
screws. The core on my deck near the mast step is 1" thick and I think that
applies to the cabin top generally - which is very solid.. I determined this
by checking the 4" hole in the deck that was cut for a solar vent - see
attached picture of the hole with a ruler to show depth. There is plastic
across the bottom of the hole on the inside liner.

 I would definitely use epoxy for the screws - not so much for strength but
to seal the hole from water egress. You really don't want any water to get
into the core. I would drill the hole with an oversize diameter about 3/4 of
the depth of the screw and fill it with un-thickened epoxy. Insert the crew
and tighten it down carefully to ensure that the threads at the end do not
strip the wood. When the epoxy cures the screw will be held solidly and
there will be a barrier between the screw and the wood core making a very
strong and water tight hold. If you ever need to remove the screw put a
soldering iron on the head of the screw until the epoxy softens and releases
the screw. Otherwise you are likely to break off the head of the screw.

Graham