[Rhodes22-list] companionway trim strips

Graham Stewart gstewart8 at cogeco.ca
Sun Mar 16 15:17:37 EDT 2014

Jerry:
The original teak runners on my boat were 40" long x 1.25" wide and .5"
thick.

I just replaced mine but made them from composite decking cut so that the
grain pattern is up. I wanted to make the boat as maintenance free as
possible. I made the new stringers sturdier than the original teak as
composite material is not as strong at teak. I am not sure how that will
hold up - especially with screws driven from below. I might replace the
screws  with bolts. On my boat the hatch slid on strips of Formica that were
broken and needed replacement so I used 1/8 x 1.5 inch aluminium strips. I
have attached pictures of the new rails on my freshly painted top. The
colours in the photo are off - the top is an off white and the rail is a
weathered grey colour. My plan is to use the composite material for the
cockpit trim as well unless it turns out to be problematic. I was not able
to find much on the web that discusses using this material in boats.

Graham