[Rhodes22-list] elton

ALICE WEISZ AMICW5 at msn.com
Thu Apr 28 02:30:49 EDT 2016

As has been repeated many times, we all have memories of Elton - good ones.  And stories.  What a wonderful legacy to have positively touched so many lives and brought joy to them.  Our loss must be the gain of others.
Alice

I am standing by the seashore
A ship at my side spreads her white sails to the morning breeze
and starts for the blue ocean.
She is an object of beauty and strength,
and I stand and watch
until at last she hangs like a speck of white cloud
just where the sun and sky come down to mingle with each other

Then someone at my side says: "There she goes!"
Gone where? Gone from my sight- that is all.

She is just as large in mast and hull and spar
as she was when she left my side
and just as able to bear her load of living freight
to the places of destination.
Her diminished size is in me, not in her.

And just at the moment when someone at my side says, "There she goes!",
there are other eyes watching her coming ,
and other voices ready to take up the the glad shout:
"Here she comes!".
                                                " A Parable of Immortality" by Henry Van Dyke