[Rhodes22-list] R22 capsize in Force 10

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Fri Dec 20 17:29:49 EST 2019

So I just read the Small Craft Advisor article (Issue #121, p20) article
and I'm rather annoyed. I'll need to read the article again when I have
more time but here is a quick and somewhat careful synopsis.

The author writes about sailing his Sailmaster 22 (good boat, Sparkman &
Stephens design) and getting caught in the same storm that capsized the
R22. In many ways, it's a good article about what he did in the face of
the storm and what he should have done better. He gets onto shaky ground
when he starts talking about why the R22 capsized (he doesn't seem to
have direct knowledge in spite of talking to the skipper of the R22 and
is just speculating on how the design may have contributed to the
capsize) and why his boat didn't. He makes at least one error and a
couple errors of omission in talking about the design of the R22.

Early on in the article the author quotes me from my chapter in "Sailing
Small" quoting GB's website about the R22 being "uncapsizeable under
sail." It's irrelevant as the R22 was motoring at the time as was the
Sailmaster. Both evidently saw the storm while near the mouth of their
home creek and both elected to make a run for the dock or at least
sheltered water. The R22 was capsized. dismasted and "the salvage crew
couldn't refloat the boat, so a crane was used to lift it onto a small
barge." The Rhodes evidently had extensive damage to the bow and was
uninsured.

I'm planning on writing a letter to SCA correcting a couple of
statements by the author and adding some thoughts of my own having had
the R22 out in a significant squall as described in Sailing Small. If
any Long Island Rhodies know more about the incident, I'd love to hear it.

Mary Lou
ex-R22
now Rosborough RF-246
Rock Hall, MD