[Rhodes22-list] Fiber-glassing in Winter?

Jeff Smith Photo jeffsmithphoto at gmail.com
Sat Dec 9 15:16:40 EST 2023

I need to do some fiberglass work on the centerboard this Winter.  The boat
is on the trailer without clearance for me to get under.  I have seen some
YouTube videos of getting the boat off the trailer with jacks, but for
various reasons (space around boat, slope of driveway where it sits, etc.)
I'm reluctant to do so.
So I could have my yard use a travel lift to put the boat on jack-stands
high enough  to work under.  The temperature then becomes the
problem.Everyone I have talked to says wait 'til Spring so the substrate is
at least 60 degrees F.  But I want to do it sooner, if possible.
My plan is to warm the centerboard where I need to do the repairs with heat
lamps on either side and bring it up to temp. I plan to be present when
using the lamps to avoid the possibility of fire...
Has anyone had experience or tips?
Or should I just wait until Spring?
Jeff Smith
Rhodes 22 RADIANT #101